Sunday, August 2, 2009

More woes with Harry Crossman

Well, Harry wasn't the son of Asa Crosman. At least, not exactly. I went back through the will of Asa Crosman, and Asa definitely had a son names Harrison. But, the will notes at the bottom that at the time of the will's execution Dec 11 1876, Harrison was not living in Henry Co, OH where we'd expect him. Instead he was living in Forsythe, Macon Co, Ill. (which means I ought to have a look through the same Macon Co History in 1880 that gave me Rufus' (son of Asa) Bio, and see if there is one for Harrison.

So Harry isn't Harrison. I re-looked at Harry's Bio, and it clearly says: "Harry Crossman, the son of a family which came to Henry Co from New York, was born in Monroe Township on November 1 1853. He was reared on a farm, and remained a farmer for life."

The Crossman that was a son to Asa that lived in Henry Co, per the will, was Hirem. I checked the dates, and Hirem was born in 1826, which means he sure could have emigrated to Henry Co, and born Harrison (calling him Harry, to distinguish him from Hirem's brother, perhaps?) This also clarifies why Harry's bio names to brothers attending Harry's funeral: "the brothers, Charles and Albert..." I'll need to check the census and see if I can find Hirem and kids, to tie this all up neatly. Wouldn't that be great!

In the mean time, I still need to add all of the kids listed in Asa's will, and figure out who they all were (spouses, children, sourcing.), and glean Rufus' will for more details on Asa. Just now in checking it, I found that it shows Asa's birthplace, which I previously had not had. And it also mentions where Asa's parents were from, though not by name. This could give some leads.

Since I had Rufus Crossman on the brain, I spent some time looking for his death date, and couldn't find a thing. I did stumble onto a site for another Crossman researcher, and they have less death data than I, but more birth data; including Harry as the Son of Hirem, with the same brothers mentioned in the obit. [http://jllewis.tripod.com/geneology/375/index.htm] I'll make corrections in NFS. I'll probably spend some time mining data from this site to give a framework for further sourcing so I don't wasted time mixing things up like I did with Harry vs. Harrison again.

No comments:

Post a Comment